Exetel were actually on-time, which is something that I wasn't convinced was going to happen. The ADSL sync light came on sometime around lunch time, and I gave them until about 4pm for the credentials to show up before I called.
I also tried using the "default credentials" scheme that Exetel
reportedly used, but they appear to no longer use it. It was basically
"<phonenumber><first two letters of your street>", which seems rather
The support tech pushed out the credentials email very quickly after I called, then it was trivial to get it going. We're getting about 10mbps, which isn't terrible, and about 700kbps upstream, which seems to be about the max I'm going to get anywhere without going to any of the NBN options, but I haven't looked into the profiles or anything to see if I can squeeze a bit more out of it.
Just in time, too - we only had about a gig left on the 4G hot spot. I could probably call up Telstra and get a bit more quota added, but it's rather miserable being on such a tiny quota to begin with.