The drowned pump
We had a minor flood at Mum and Dad’s place recently, and unfortunately no one had retrieved the pump for the horse water prior. I guess it just slipped everyone’s mind as we’ve not had to use it in quite a while, but either way Dad pulled it out of the creek with the water up to his elbow just to reach the handle.
It’s a Davey HPD5-CP550-0, which they bought on sale for a few hundred bucks so Dad wasn’t too worried about it. However the non-sale price is about $600~700 AUD - that’s totally worth doing something with!
A few weeks back I drained all the fluids and washed everything out with some two-stroke and lots of carb cleaner. I put everything back together and then yesterday I picked up some oil, an air filter, and a spark plug. It was probably due a service anyway, it’s a few years old now.
Washed the sump out a few more times until I was satisfied there was no more water, then put clean oil in it, and began the process of getting it to fire up. After about 20 minutes we finally got it to fire. It runs, but quite rough - I suspect there’s probably still moisture in the carb, or possibly in the ignition system. I’m going to take it down the creek and run it for about 15 minutes or so before I bring it back up and give it another oil change.
Hopefully it lasts a while.