Uh oh!

Fun fact: this is the second blog post with an identical title, and identical URLs except for the month/year.

A month or four ago I noticed I'd managed to break the drive-side locknut on my Colony, and I resolved to do something about it. Fast forward to Monday, when I actually bought the part to fix it - luckily my local bike shop were willing to sell me just the locknut. It's a steel one instead of an alloy one, but let's be realistic here the weight difference from this one part is negligible. The night before (ie, Sunday night) I pulled it all apart to make sure the locknut was the only piece I'd need, and the bearings inside the cassette/freewheel felt a little scratchy - not too bad, but bad enough that I sprang for some grease as well.

Tonight after work, I finally got around to putting it all back together. I also cleaned out and re-packed the smaller two bearings in the cassette - I couldn't get the other end off to knock the axle out of the hub in order to replace those bearings.

It only took me about 20 minutes tops, but I'd put it off long enough. I took it for a quick fang around the block to make sure everything felt comfortable, and had to tighten a few things up.

Now to find time to ride.

Horsham, VIC, Australia fwaggle

Published:


Modified:

Never

Filed under:


Location:

Horsham, VIC, Australia

Navigation: Older Entry Newer Entry