Quite some time ago I experimented with using Google's "Blogger" to host my personal "blog", as I don't really care enough about my own site to maintain the security necessary to keep and maintain a Wordpress blog, but I also don't care for Wordpress's hosted service. Despite the obvious shortcomings with Blogger's templating language, which I've whined about before, I actually really prefer not even having to think about managing the site.

So today I decided to dispose of the Wordpress site (which hadn't been updated in over a year and pretty much only gets spam comments) and point everything here. It required some hostname shuffling, and some mod_rewrite magic on my server's side of things, but it appears to be working now. I'm sure I have some broken links, particularly anything involving /downloads, so if there's something you're trying to hit and it's not there, shoot me an email, me@me.org.

I was going to go through and do a rewrite "map" (a new feature I have not yet had the headache of using) for all the entries, but I came to realize that I've pretty much duplicated any of the entries I actually care about (the small fraction where I wasn't just dribbling complete shit for the sake of it) so anything that 404s doesn't really matter anymore.

Update: It appears as though it's broken the Google-powered search feature of Blogger. I'm not entirely sure how long it will take for that to fix itself, or if there's anything I can do to speed up the process. That really sucks for figuring out which URLs to 301 and to where. Ouch.

I also noticed a bunch of things I neglected to fix, including reverse DNS, MX records, and such. It's not like I really use mail at this domain much, but it forwards to my GMail and I'd really like that to still work.

Red Lion VIC 3371, Australia fwaggle

Published:


Modified:

Never

Filed under:


Location:

Red Lion VIC 3371, Australia

Navigation: Older Entry Newer Entry