Note: This is an historic article originally published on Hungry Hacker, which I moved here instead.
Yesterday, after floating around several projects, I opened up the package to my MSP430 evaluation set and made a decision. I was either going to make a working B-trigger prototype, or kill my paintgun in the process. I've actually managed to do half of each.
If you check out the B-Trigger project page, you can see code, photos, and a video. The whole mess works, and I've got basically almost the same functionality as the stock board now. The only drawback is I must have something hooked up slightly wrong, because the transistor that drives the solenoid gets very hot after about 30 seconds of full auto fire. I never actually looked to see if this was how the old board behaved, but I'd rather not have it do that.
So now I've put it back on hold, awaiting the parts to build a completely new board from scratch. I need to consult with some people smarter than I am when it comes to electronics, and figure out the most reliable approach.
Well, the site's taken a nosedive in traffic the last few days, and I can't figure out why. We've been down around 1/3rd of our average daily traffic since about friday. On a brighter note, Strykar's added a few new texts, and he's apparently got more coming. I still have a couple in the works, as well as a couple more projects on the go that will need writeups pretty soon.
We have a new feature called Tuneage. A certain member of our staff describes it as "the funnest part of the site", but I won't say who. Basically, it's a centralized database of what we're listening to at the time.
I'm going to be adding an "author" system, to make it much more obvious who wrote which article, rather than looking at who edited what. I've got about five pages of scribble describing how it's going to work, but so far I've yet to lay down any code for it.
Anyway, I'm off to go do some more hacking.